Recently, my niece moved back to the area from Oregon and let me tell you, I am so glad she is back. It is literally like having a mandatory best friend in your pocket. I just take out my phone and ‘snap’ her (yes, she has taught her old, out-of-touch aunt how to snapchat) and she comes to hang out. Years divide us, but hearts connect us. We have always just kind of gotten each other. I think it’s our artistic minds – the way we view and feel certain things. It’s freeing to have someone who just understands how your mind works; where, how, and why your thoughts head in different directions and how you feel emotions so strongly. She has been staying with us a few nights a week. It is a God send. She helps out so much with my kiddos on nights my husband is out late for work and she also just makes it seem like life is bigger and better. She unknowingly reminds me to live for the small things, that God is good, and that family is forever.
I thought I would do something a little bit different with this blog post, and share 10 random thoughts I have on the days my niece isn’t hanging out with me.
1. Dude. I’m so happy she moved back.
I really, really, really hope that I am able to help her on her path. Please, God, let me be a light unto her life like she is to mine.
2. I think in a previous life I was one of those Hipsters. I love a good hipster outfit. I just wish it went more with momlife. Gah. I am going to steal all of my niece’s hipness, and happily look like I live at Urban Outfitters.
3. How come she looks better in mom jeans than me? I am a mom. How come no mom jeans fit me like that? Dude. She’s so hip. I’m totally hip just hanging out with her. Yup. Going to keep telling myself that.
4. I’m super glad I didn’t start Game of Thrones without her. Seriously, I appriecate someone who can fangirl almost as hard as me.
5. But, like, in the end who will I like more : Jon Snow or Rob Stark? And, by I, I mean us, because clearly we have to decide together who our favorite Dyer wolf is. Yes, yes a Game of Throne reference. Sorry, not sorry. We are only on season three and have so much more to go!
6. Why has she not snapped me back yet? Doesn’t she think mine and the kids faces look so funny in that filter? I mean I think we look adorable.
7. I’m so totally going to borrow this cameo jacket of hers more often. I feel like totally hardcore. Love it. And, ya I probs want to borrow her new big, chunky knit sweater too. Maybe she won’t notice it is missing from her bag….
8. Man, this salad is so good. Wish she was here to eat some with me. I really like someone that loves salads like I love salads.
9. I totally need her to do Whole30 with me again. Not that I can’t do it solo, just like she is so hardcore it makes it easier for me. Ya, time to start healthy. Let’s get on that.
10. Um, like, is it time for her to come back yet?
All of this randomness, but is it? I know I was destined to be her aunt. Just like I know I was made to be Arthur’s wife and, love his Big Fat Greek Family. She is a blessing I didn’t know I needed. She warms my heart and brings joy to my soul. So my many thoughts on days we are not together may be random, but my love for her is not.
Leave a Reply